1. What a run for legendary singer Tony Bennett, who passed away Friday at 96.
Bennett performed numerous times at sporting events over the years, but his rendition of America the Beautiful at Yankees Stadium before Game 1 of the 1998 World Series stands out.
Just a masterly, controlled and powerful performance from start to finish.
In 2010, Bennett had Giants fans in the palm of his hand when he performed his classic “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”
2. HBO has released the trailer for Season 2 of Winning Time, which comes out Aug. 6. My biggest takeaway: It’s eerie how much the guy playing Larry Bird looks like Larry Bird.
3. Steph Curry is the subject of a new documentary out today on Apple TV+. When the topic of which NBA star should be the subject of a documentary came up via Twitter on Thursday, Kevin Durant gave a fantastic and brutally honest assessment of why he should not be considered.
4. The Bengals announced Thursday that Chad Johnson and Boomer Esiason will be inducted into the team’s Ring of Honor this season. Esiason’s son-in-law, Matt Martin, who plays for the New York Islanders, had the perfect tweet to celebrate the occasion.
5. The great Chris “Mad Dog” Russo called me out on his SiriusXM show Thursday because I wrote about Pat McAfee as the top influencer in sports media at the moment. Russo was peeved I didn’t get him or Stephen A. Smith, his First Take partner, “in the mix.”
Here’s the thing: McAfee got the main write-up for this feature, which was also in the print edition of Sports Illustrated.
Then I wrote a separate piece on the Top 10 Influential Personalities in Sports Media, and Stephen A. made that list. However, Russo did not, so hopefully I don’t get ripped again if he finds that out. But everyone knows there’s no bigger Russo fan than me.
6. This week’s SI Media With Jimmy Traina features an interview with the man behind ProFootballTalk, Mike Florio.
Topics covered include the Jets’ over-the-top reluctance to appear on HBO’s Hard Knocks this season, whether Bill Belichick is actually on the hot seat in New England this season, whether the NFL will ever allow fans to purchase games for just a single team, the latest controversy with running backs being devalued and not getting megacontracts and much more.
Following Florio, Sal Licata from WFAN radio and SNY TV in New York joins me for our weekly “Traina Thoughts” segment. This week we discuss our night out at a steakhouse, the Miranda Lambert/selfie scandal, whether we should keep reading Apple reviews on the podcast, my bad back, Sal’s reluctance to get a colonoscopy and more.
You can also watch SI Media With Jimmy Traina on YouTube.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that Tony Bennett’s “Rags to Riches” is a great song and worked so perfectly in Goodfellas.